The toolkit consists of consists of an algorithm, a pain risk factor assessment form, 19 patient handouts and four educational videos.
As part of a comprehensive program, the Discharge Planning Toolkit for Pain provides a Discharge Algorithm for Pain Related Complaints. This algorithm assists providers in determining if the patient is safe for discharge; considerations for opioid addiction risk and OTC treatment options. The toolkit also provides educational handouts, which you can adapt for your own needs, and patient-friendly videos on managing pain. Finally, patients can review a helpful pain analogy from the American Chronic Pain Association called “A Car with Four Flat Tires.”
Our toolkit resources can be downloaded by selecting the links below:
1. Discharge Algorithm for Pain Related Complaints
Determine if the patient is safe for discharge.
Information available for patients on home opioids or discharged with opioid prescriptions.
Tailor discharge packet an resources based on patient’s needs.
4. Patient Education/Resource Handouts:
- Managing Pain
- Safe Use of Pain Medication
- Over-the-Counter Handout: Topical Medications
- Over-the-Counter Handout: Oral Medications
- Reduce Smoking and Improve Pain Management
- Alcohol & Pain – Jacksonville, FL
- Alcohol & Pain – National
- Healthy Eating & Pain
- Back Pain Exercises
- Pain and Stress – Relaxation Techniques
- Aromatherapy and Breathing Techniques for Pain Relief
- Pain and Sleep
- Dental Pain
- Pregnancy and Back Pain
- Nonpharmacological Therapies for Pain
- Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) and Pregnancy: Jacksonville, FL
- Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) and Pregnancy: National
5. PAMI Educational Pain Videos
6. American Chronic Pain Association, “A Car with Four Flat Tires” Educational Video for Chronic Pain