This AI-PAMI Patient & Caregiver Presentation on “Over-the-Counter (OTC) Pain Medication Overview” is presented by Reetu Grewal, MD, a UF Health Jacksonville Family Medicine physician. Dr. Grewal provides a comprehensive overview of available over-the-counter pain medications found in pharmacies, especially those which may be helpful for older adults living with pain. Dr. Grewal discusses the oral and topical options, along with evidence and safety information. She also reviews some of the frequently asked questions about OTC medications that may be helpful when considering safe and effective use.
Presentation Slide Deck
Table of Contents
- Introduction to OTC pain medication
- Non-steroidal Anti-inflammatories (NSAIDS)
- Topical pain medication: Diclofenac, Lidocaine, Rubefacients, Menthol, Capsaicin, Arnica
- FAQs on OTC medication:
- Can I take acetaminophen with an NSAID?
- If I take an oral pain medicine, can I use a topical as well?
- Should I tell my doctor if I am regularly taking any over-the-counter pain medicine?
- Do I need to take OTC pain medication with food?
- If I do take a prescription pain medicine, is it okay to take an OTC pain medicine as well?